Monday, November 22, 2010

Mumblings of a Minnesota Monday

Here we are with another "wonderful" Monday. Thus far my Monday isn't all that "wonderful" that's for sure. First my day started off with my phone ringing, it was the power company telling me that the guys would be in our area working on some stuff and we'd be without power for about two hours. Well yippee skippy, seriously you pick this time of the year for this? Its barely above zero today!


So here I sit with my trusty laptop, which by the way only holds power for about 2 hours(I have no idea if there's better ones out there, so if anyone knows let me know!) Thankfully we have a propane cook stove, therefor I can put the oven on for some heat. Other than that I sit here in my chair, wrapped up in a blanket(always am anyway since we keep the furnace turned down) with one little booger beside me, my wee bit Ginger. Generally I'd have my other wee bit Molly over here too, but she didn't come to sit this time. Of course while sitting here I got to thinking, just how long can my two fish go without their aerators on to circulate the air in the fish tanks. My betta I don't have to worry about since he never does have one, he's just a fish in a bowl...lol.


The 13 year old is outside, doing what his father told him to do. He has some wood that was cut up by my father, to pick up. So I can hear a lawn mower scooting around out there doing that job. Yep, could call us "redneck" for that part, instead of a 4-wheeler by son has a rider lawn mower to drive around. Without the mower deck part, just in case anyone's wondering. Ah, what's that I hear? Hmm he must be done since its now shut down. He has the joys of getting school work done, just nothing that's on his computer, obviously since we have no power...lol. But I have plenty of things he can do, with actual books. So he won't be without, he can do part of his chores anything that doesn't require running water.


And there's another thing I'm worried about, the other day we had frozen water, all day long. The hubs came in to give me my kiss and I love you, like everyday, then proceeded to tell me "we have frozen water" well what a lovely wake up call. So I was out of bed after that, since I was wide awake after him having a conversation with me. So I went all day without water, thankfully when I needed some I just had to walk across the yard to my mom's and get some :D That's one time its handy to have someone so close.


Towards noon my husband calls me from work to ask if anything had changed. I'm like uh no, in fact I would have called or texted him if they would have, which is exactly what he asked me to do. Then we decided that I would grab one of the "milk house" heaters and put under the house. This is not one of my favorite moments, not the going under the house, just the heater there. I always get nervous with that stuff. We live in a mobile home, so its not scary under the house, but we have a layer of plastic down to help with the frost, basically preventing it to get as cold under there.


Anywho so there I was crawling around trying to get everything good enough to where I wouldn't worry as much, and came out a lovely shade of sand, cobwebs and anything else that was under there...lol Its all good I'm washable, course I had to wait. I was checking the heater off and on all day.


The hubs comes home and tries what we normally have to do, when we forget to "trickle" water in the house to prevent this. Which is taking hot water, from mom's, and pumping it through the line. Always works, except this time, he tells me that the pipe from the ground to the house is froze this time. Usually its the one going into the ground that freezes. This all then ended up having him run over to his brothers to get our nipco heater, then run to town(25 miles one way) to get kerosene for it. So by 10:30 pm we finally had water.And I refuse to turn the water off completley in the kitchen or my bathroom tub. Last year we had the kitchen faucet freeze up but nothing else in the house. Was quite interesting.


Wonderful I  just asked the boy if the kitchen faucet was dripping, and alas no its not, due to the power being out. Let's just hope and pray that my water doesn't freeze up just because the power company shut me off for working on things. I'm probably going to have to finish this post up after the power comes back on because I'm running out of battery. "I'm melting" ok really have no idea why I had Wizard of Oz stuff in my head. Well that was painless, just as my battery going to die the power came back on. So I got lucky that I didn't have to be without. Now I can ramble some more. I probably could ramble on about anything and no one ever really read it...lol.


At this point its cool, its just better to vent somewhere and ramble. Ok the power came back on and I had to do the usual wait for my DVR to set back up and all that, that comes with a power outage. Then it happens, the dreaded blue screen with wanting me to reboot due to some issue. I knew it was going to be difficult as it has been the past couple times of power issues.


After several tries of the usual rebooting, resetting and so forth, I had to call DirecTv only to find out they had to replace my DVR, so a replacement is on its way here. Thankfully in the meantime I got it to work! So I can watch my two cheesy reality TV shows. Jerseylicious and The Real Housewives of Atlanta. I'm all at peace now...lol. I'm really hoping that these things will be the last of the issues for the week. I have no desire for my Monday start to set the tone for the week. *Sigh* just *take in a deep breath, let it out* and NEXT.


Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

1 comment:

Amy said...

HI......I'm a new follower!
I didn't know you were living in MN. I had a freezing cold Monday too! Actually Sunday was worse......Ice covering everything. My poor son slid down our front steps and got banged up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...